The Dominican Block
Located at 143 Chestnut Street in downtown Lewiston, Maine, the Dominican Block was built in 1882 as the social-center of Lewiston's "Little Canada" neighborhood.
A Historic Landmark
The building opened in January 1883 as a school for Lewiston's growing Franco-American population, and became known as "Canadian City Hall."
Lincoln Street Commercial Center
The Dominican Block's two storefronts were home to some of the finest merchants in the city, and will be again soon, hopefully!
An Injured Icon
By 2002 the building had deteriorated significantly, with the 2nd and 3rd floors chopped-up into abandoned apartments, and the top floor inhabited by hundreds of pigeons.
The Historic Preservation
In 2007 the building's exterior shell was fully restored, with the brickwork repaired and repointed, and historically-accurate windows installed.
The Restored Facade
The Lincoln Street facade has been restored, preserving the original cast iron, brick and granite columns, and with the crafting of historically accurate replicas of the original wooden storefronts and doors.
Completion & Addition
The redevelopment plan calls for an addition to be built on the south-side of the building, pairing modern amenities and accessibility with the historical preservation.